Our Chapter History

Photo courtesy Tim Crutchfield

The Nathaniel Macon Chapter, NSDAR was organized on January 14, 1905 by Mrs. Edgar A. Ross and was named after a North Carolina revolutionary war patriot. The Charter members were:

Fanny Prescott Ross
Rosalind Davis
Henrietta Holt
Mabel Prescott Slappey
Susie Derry Parker
Fanny Jacqueline Edwards
Mary Battle Lowery
Ellie Walker West
Lenora Wells Adams
Mary Munnerlyn English
Helen Ross Rogers
Gladys Parker Whellis
Katie Porter Barnett
Ruby Jones Grace
Viola Felton Ross

Nathaniel Macon Chapter's most outstanding project was the rebuilding of the Fort Hawkins Blockhouse. In 1914, the Chapter erected a granite boulder on the site of Forth Hawkins. In 1928, plans were made and blueprints furnished gratis by Curran Ellis. On March 19, 1979, at the dedication, a marker was placed at the Blockhouse. The Chapter is still using a gavel made from one of the original logs from the old fort, dated 1906 and made for our first Regent, Mrs. Edgar Ross. The chapter observed its 100th Anniversary in 2005.

Through the efforts of the Nathaniel Macon Chapter, NSDAR and the Works in Progress Administration, this replica of the Southeastern Blockhouse of Fort Hawkins was built on the site of the original Fort in 1938 and is open to the public.

Photo courtesy Echo Halstead Burrell